Yesterday, I’d leftover rice and in evening I made delicious rice muthia. You can have it as a snack/appetizer/dinner/Side-dish. It can be served with green chutney or tomato catch-up and of coerce tea is the best combination with it.
Ingredients for Muthia:
- 2 cup wheat flour
- 1 cup Besan (chickpeas flour-chana no lot)
- 2 cup cooked rice (or grated bottle gourd for Doodhi na Muthia)
- 1 tsp coriander-cumin powder (Dhania Jeera)
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp Garam masala (MDH or badshah)-to your taste
- 2 tbsp Lemon Juice or ½ cup of Sour curd
- 2 tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp Haldi (turmeric)
- 1 tsp ginger-chili paste (Optional)
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp oil
- Little water or buttermilk
Preparation for Muthia
- In a bowl, Mix all the ingredients
- If you are making Doodhi (bottle gourd) Muthia then squeeze out water from the grated bottle gourd.
- Make stiff dough with little water or buttermilk if needed.
- Divide the dough into balls and Make cylindrical shape with your palm, grease your palm with oil if needed.
- Put this cylindrical rolls-Muthia into a steamer, it is OK if they stick to each other.
- Steam it for 30 minutes in a steamer or Pressure cooker. Usually I keep Muthia plate on the top of Dal-rice boxes in the pressure cooker(3 whistles)
- Let it cool down and cut into small pieces/thick slices.
Ingredients for Seasoning-tadka and Garnishing
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 5-6 curry leaves (optional)
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- red chili powder, salt according to the taste
- a pinch of asafoetida (Hing)
- ½ cup cilantro-coriander leaves
Method for Seasoning:
- Heat the oil in a pan and add mustard seeds, when it crackles add cumin seeds, sesame seeds, Hing, curry leaves, little chili powder(if needed) and sauté for a minute.
- Now add Muthia pieces and sauté for 5 minutes on a medium flame until it turns light brown.
- Garnish with coriander and serve hot.
Instead of rice, you can use grated bottle gourd, cabbage, chopped spinach, Mehti-fengureek etc to make different varieties of Muthia.
For fenugreek or spinach, I use only besan and I deep fry this small cylindrical muthia that can specially be used in Undhiyu( MixVeg Curry).
Try other Gujarati Dishes, Gujarati farsan