Batatavada is a famous Gujarati/Maharastrian Chaat dish. In South India it is known as a aloo bonda. Batatavada is a deep fried spicy potato mix balls and usually serve with green and sweet chutneys.Here, is an easy and quick home made recipes for Batata vada
You can put this vada in a Pav(Bread loaf) with Garlic chutney in it and it will become a World famous mumbai’s “VadaPav”. It is a very easy to make with your desired variations of Potato stuffing. Make boiled potato ready to cook faster.
Stuffing Ingredients for Batata vada
- 2 peeled and mashed boiled potato
- 1 Onion- finally chopped
- 1 tbsp Garlic-green chilies paste:-according to your taste
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- ¼ tsp turmeric (Haldi)
- 1 tbsp finally chopped coriander leaves
- A pinch of Hing (Asafetida)
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp oil for Tadka/Vaghar
- 1 tsp Garam Masala (Badshah/MDH etc)
- 1 tsp lemon juice or 1 tsp Amchur powder (Dry Mango Powder)
- 1 tbsp sugar
Procedure for Stuffing:
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan.
- Add Mustard seeds
- When mustard seeds crackle, Add ping of Hing
- Add Chopped onilon, Garlic-green chilies paste and cook for 2 minutes/until onion turns little brown.
- Now add mashed boiled potatoes, Turmeric, Salt, Garam masala,finally chopped coriander/Cilantro/Kothmir, 1 tsp lemon juice and 1 tbsp sugar.
- Mix it well and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Let it cool down.
- Make medium sized Balls out of this stuffing and keep aside.
Ingredients for Besan Batter (Coat for stuffing)
- 1 cup gram flour (Chickpea flour besan- chana no lot
- ½ tsp red chili powder-to taste
- ¼ Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- Salt to taste
- ¼ tbsp Baking soda/baking powder
- ½ cup of water-according to batter consistency
Procedure for making Batter:
- In a bowl, add all above mentioned ingredients except soda and water and mix well
- Now add water to make paste. Make Batter medium thick.
- At last Add Baking soda and keep aside for 10 minutes.
Frying Batata vada/Aloo Bonda
- Heat deep frying oil in a pan
- Deep potato stuffed balls into the batter .
- Deep fry it until it turns dark yellow/golden brown.
- You can add 6-7 balls at a time according to your pan size.
Bingo! You are done
Batatavada/Aloo bonda/vada for Vadapav is ready. Serve with green chutney or sweet chutney or tomato sauce.
For Vada Pav:
Cut Bun/pav, horizontally in middle, place a batata vada, garnish with any chutney-garlic, sweet, green whatever you have, and enjoy Mumbai’s vada pav at home.