Ragda patties is a chaat (snack) recipe but I eat as a meal. Ragda means Dried peas(white or green) curry cooked with spices and Patties means a flat salty cake of chopped potato or other veges( you can add spice too).
So “Ragda patties is baked patties covered with dried peas curry and garnish with tangy sweet chutney (sauce)/tamarind chutney, cilantro (dhania) chopped onion and nylon sev. Yummy huh!!! Let’s starts with ingredients.
Ingredients for Ragda:
- 1 cup dried green peas(or white-safad vatana)
- 1 cup tomato puree/paste
- 2 tbsp oil
- ¼ turmeric powder (haldi)
- ½ tbsp chilli powder(to taste)
- 1 tbsp garam masala( I use Laxmi brand)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- a pinch of hing(asafetida)
- ½ cup cilantro(dhania)
- ¼ tbsp baking soda
Ingredients for Patties:
- 5 boiled potatoes
- corn flour or 3 slice of bread
- Salt to taste
- Oil for shallow fry or cooking spray for baking.
Directions/How to make ragda patties or Aloo tikki chaat?
2. Drain and add fresh water, baking soda and pressure cook for 2-3 whistles. Now pees will be soft.
3. Heat the 2 tbsp oil and add asafetida and chopped onion. Sauté for 2 minutes.
4. Add tomato puree, chili powder and garam masala. Sauté for 2-3 minutes and add cooked green peas. Add ½ cup water if needed.
5. Simmer for 6-7 minutes and keep aside.
6. Meanwhile you can make patties.
How to Make Potato patties:
1. In a bowl, take bread, potatoes, salt, ginger-garlic-green chili paste (optional) and kneed it properly.
2. Make round or oval shape of patties with this mixture.
3. Now you can deep fry or shallow-fry these patties. Other option to avoid oil is baking in the regular oven at 350F until it turns in light red color.
Place two patties in the dish and pour ladleful ragda (peas curry) on it. Garnish with tamarind chutney, cilantro, chopped onion and sev.
If you like yogurt then add that too.
Tips: I use frozen Hash Brown potato patties that you get from Wal-mart or any regular grocery store.
Ragda is very tasty with pav (Bun/bread) too. So try your own version.
Kids will love patties so make healthy patties with adding boiled vegetables, corn, paneer etc and cover with yogurt and sweet sauce.